Friday, July 1, 2011

Despair

I feel like I will never stop editing this damn book.  Every time I think I'm finished, I see another typo.  Or find another plot hole.  Or read another sentence whose parts are wrinkled.

I think I've read this novel about twelve times in the last three years, which puts it at the top of my list of most-often read books (right after "The Handmaid's Tale," which I prefer, because unfortunately I didn't write that one).

I go cross-eyed when I look at a page of this damn book, and that's before I start reading.  Is it possible to do a good editing job when you know everything that's coming?  I don't know.

All I know is, I really, really, really hope somebody pays me for all this.

As my old pal Dorothy Parker once said, "I hate writing; I love having written."

No comments:

Post a Comment